Homer, Alaska Art Galleries and Exhibits
Considered one of America's best small art towns, Homer, Alaska is often called the "Cosmic Hamlet by the Sea." This vibrant and active art community is home to many local, regional and nationally-acclaimed artists who create art in variety of mixed media.The dramatic beauty of Kachemak Bay provides inspiration for the painters, potters, print-makers, photographers, sculptors, jewelers, weavers, and glass artists who live and work in this funky artist enclave.Stroll through downtown Homer to explore wonderful art galleries like Fireweed Gallery and Ptarmigan Arts on Pioneer Avenue and Jars of Clay Pottery on Main Street, or head out to end of the Homer Spit to The Sea Lion.Find hand-made local arts and crafts at the Homer Council on the Arts. This thriving cultural village is also home to a performing arts and live music scene, including the Homer Theater.All of the galleries leave their featured artist's work up until the following month's first Friday. All of the art galleries are open until 7:30 p.m. on the first Friday of every month when they hold their artist receptions.
Homer First FridayJoin Homer's First Friday, when local art galleries unveil new exhibits, you can meet the artists, and mingle with locals. See and buy the beautiful selection of art and enjoy the artists' receptions from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. with drinks and snacks.
- Fireweed Gallery - Pioneer Avenue - Summers from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. every day and winter hours depend on business.
- The Art Shop Gallery - Pioneer Avenue - Monday through Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m ,and Sundays 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m. in summer. Winter hours are 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. weekdays.
- Picture Alaska - Summer hours are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 4:00 p.m. Sundays. Winter hours are 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. five days a week.
- Ptarmigan Arts - Summer hours are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and Sunday to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday winter hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Bunnell Street Art Gallery - Summer hours are 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 4:00 p.m. Sunday. Winter hours are 11:00 a.m. to to 5:00 p.m. every day except Sundays.